USCIS ( the government agency which issues and renews your green card) makes it mandatory that all cards are current.
If for any reasons you have lost your green card or your card is mutilated or it has expired then you need to file for a a green card renewal with the form I-90.
You need to file for a renewal with the form I-90 if:
1/.Your card was valid for 10 years but has expired or is expiring.
2/.Your card was lost, stolen or destroyed;
3/. Your card is mutilated;
4/.Your name or some other biographic information has changed since the time your card was issued;
5/.You have taken up Commuter status;
6/.You were a Commuter and am now taking up residence in the U.S.;
7/.Your status has automatically been converted to a permanent resident;
8/.You have an old edition of the card;
Form I-90, expired green card:
Lets check the process involved in green card renewal.
1. Prepare your application the Form I-90.
2. Gather the necessary supporting documents.
3. Make a copy of all that you are going to send to the USCIS.
4. Mail the form, fees and supporting documents to the USCIS.
5. You will receive a biometrics appointment letter from the USCIS.
6. Go to the fingerprinting location.
7. Get your fingerprints and photographs taken.
8. Wait for written notification from the USCIS regarding their decision on Form I-90. Their decision will be based on whether or not you have established your eligibility for the Replacement Green Card.
9. If you have established eligibility, your application will be approved and the Green Card will be mailed to you. If your application has been denied, the USCIS will let you know, in writing, the reason for the denial.
Some interesting facts on green card renewal:
It is advisable to renew your green card even if it does not have an expiry date. Cards issued during the years 1979 and 1988 does not have an expiration date, but it is still advisable that you go in for a green card renewal so that your status is current.
You need not submit your photos with your Form I-90. After the USCIS receives your application, they will send you an Application Receipt Notice form I-797. USCIS will also inform you in writing when to go to your local USCIS Application Support Center (ASC) for your biometrics appointment.
Currently it takes about 110 days for you to receive a renewed card. But much would depend on the USCIS service center that caters to your area.
A valid green card is a must if you desire to be a lawful resident who wants to live and work in the United States.
Dear customer,thanks for reaching out.
You might as well contact us via phone number +86 13925815356(same as WhatsApp/WeChat) or email address firstname.lastname@example.org in case we fail to respond you timely.
Looking forward to hearing from you
We are here to help you! If you close the chatbox, you will automatically receive a response from us via email. Please be sure to leave your contact details so that we can better assist